In his all-time classic book, Think and Grow Rich, Napoleon Hill tells the story of R. U. Darby.
Darby’s uncle had gold fever, so he headed west to Colorado to stake his claim and started digging. After a lot of hard work, he found a vein of ore, that at the time, could have been one of the largest one ever found!
So, he returned home to raise the money for the machinery that would be need to mine the gold.
After the money was raised, Darby travelled with his uncle back to the site to make their fortune.
Things started well and before long, they had enough to pay off all of their debts. They were excited, as everything from here on would be pure profit!
But then, the supply of gold dried up. The vein of ore had disappeared. They kept on digging, but found nothing.
Shortly thereafter, they quit. In frustration, they sold their equipment to a junk man for a few hundred dollars, and headed home in disappointment.
But, the junk man was astute. He called in a mining engineer for professional advice. The engineer calculated that there was a vein of gold just three feet from where Darby and his uncle had stopped digging.
We all know the rest of the story. The junk man went on to make millions from the mine!
Aside from the obvious lesson in perseverance, there is relationship to your marketing…
More specifically, it relates to your follow up.
You see, there were 2 things that Darby and his uncle missed:
- They did not consult with a professional that could give them advice on how to proceed.
- Their thinking and efforts were completely linear.
Most marketers build a simple sales funnel. Send traffic to an opt-in, then follow up with 7-8 emails for one offer.
Not only is that the end of their funnel, it’s completely linear.
Given the retargeting tools available today, the better marketers are moving away from this model…
- They understand that customer experiences should not be linear.
- They know that content is what drives leads, not opt-ins.
- They only put offers in front of people who have digested relevant pieces of content.
- They follow up with ads, posts, videos, and other media.
- They follow up with numerous related offers, not just one.
- When they really want to find their fortune, they reach out to a professional for help.
To get a free consultation for your marketing funnel, CLICK HERE.
It’s time to make your fortune!